Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Biking in Belgium

Since the beginning of May, I've been doing fitness classes through my work four days a week, almost religiously. Monday I do spin, Tuesday is bootcamp, Wednesday yoga (or spin if I'm feeling like a heavier workout), and Thursday is bootcamp again.

Well, since I got back from the UK, I've been severely lacking motivation to keep up with these. I reaaaaally did NOT want to go to spin class today, but my lovely co-worker Marcia conned me into going by saying she'd come to bootcamp with me tomorrow (which I've been begging her to do for two months).

I really don't know much about the Tour de France except that it's a massive bike ride with loads of people and it seems to last forever. So I went into spin today and the instructor was like, "we're going to Europe today." So naturally my ears immediately perked up and I'm interested now because that's where I'd like to be.

She went on to say that the Tour de France started July 5 and today they're in Ypres, Belgium, heading towards Arenberg-Porte du Hainaut in France. Aaaand then she said she mapped out the route they're on and that we were going to cover the same route in our ride... All 95 miles of it, or whatever.

Of course she shortened it up so we could do it in our 45 minute class but still, it was kinda cool. We started in Ypres and went over all the cobblestone patches (by adding resistance... surely nothing compared to actually being in Ypres, but still a challenge) the Tour de France bicyclists had to go through and made our way to France.

 Our spinning room probably isn't as pretty as Belgium or France...

Jeannette, the instructor, really had it all planned out. I wasn't just impressed with the effort she went to to get the mapping and routing accurate, but she also had a European playlist set up. Honestly music can make or break a class like that.

It ended up being a pretty good class. I managed to peddle through a whole 17 miles, despite not having wanted to even go. Hoping I can keep up the motivation to get full-swing back into my classes.

Something Jeannette said to us in the middle of a big hill was, "how you do one thing, is how you do everything." So... I'll leave you with that to ponder.

-teddy x

1 comment:

Thanks for the feedback, loves! x